- Lesson One - What is the Act?
- Lesson Two - When Does the Act Apply?
- Lesson Three - Ground Rules for Meetings Subject to the Act
- Lesson Four - Closing a Meeting
- Lesson Five - Minutes
- Lesson Six - Enforcement of the Act
Maryland's Open Meetings Act
An online class offered jointly by the University of Maryland's Institute for Governmental Service and Research and the Maryland Attorney General's Office.
This online class is designed for members of the general public with an interest in open government, as well as for public servants, members of the press, volunteers, and professionals who wish to become familiar with the requirements of the Act. Note that this class does not qualify for credit in the Academy for Excellence in Local Governance certificate program.
Maryland's Open Meetings Act takes about 2.5 hours to complete and is comprised of 6 lessons with quizzes throughout, followed by a review. For each quiz, both your correct and incorrect answers should be thoroughly reviewed. If you do not pass a quiz, review the previous material and retake it. You must pass each quiz to progress through the class. After the review, print and keep the Certificate of Completion for your records, because IGSR does not collect and/or store any information concerning your completion of this online class.
- Basic knowledge of state government functions
- A computer with an Internet connection and a compatible web browser (e.g. - Microsoft's Edge™ or Internet Explorer®, Apple's Safari®, Mozilla's Firefox®, Google's Chrome™, etc.). The class can also be taken using a tablet, but is not compatible with mobile phones.