The Institute for Governmental Service and Research was established in October 2006 through the consolidation of two organizations- the Institute for Governmental Service (IGS) and the Bureau of Governmental Research (BGR). With more than six decades of public service to Maryland, IGSR has consistently and successfully guided policy, improved operations, and institutionalized evidence-based practices in partnership with local governments, state and federal agencies, and community organizations. The Institute has also undertaken national research and technology initiatives to strengthen government effectiveness and efficiency and to promote evidence-based practices.

This organizational timeline highlights IGSR's history through the decades.




2010s

2016 With the retirement of IGSR's longstanding Associate Director, Jeanne E. Bilanin, IGSR welcomes its new Associate Director, Richard N. Engstrom
2015 IGSR develops database to track MPowering the State research projects undertaken jointly by the University of Maryland, College Park and the University of Maryland, Baltimore
2014 The Virtual Learning Center (VLC) offers its second online class, Sustainable Community Development
2013 IGSR, University of Baltimore’s Schaefer Center, and University of Delaware’s Institute for Public Administration host the Southern Consortium of University Public Service Organizations (SCUPSO) Annual Conference in Baltimore
2012 Academy for Excellence in Local Governance moves from IGSR to the University's School of Public Policy
2012 IGSR launches the Virtual Learning Center (VLC), an online training initiative with an inaugural class on Maryland's Open Meetings Act that was developed jointly with the State of Maryland Office of Attorney General
2011 IGSR and the School of Public Policy co-sponsor the welcome reception of the American Society for Public Administration (ASPA) Annual Conference in Baltimore

2000s

2009 The Southern Consortium of University Public Service Organizations (SCUPSO) elects IGSR Director Robin Parker Cox to serve as President
2008 Academy for Excellence in Local Governance celebrates its tenth anniversary at a luncheon with Governor Martin O’Malley as keynote speaker
2007 IGSR and the University of Baltimore’s Schaefer Center for Public Policy co-host the annual meeting of the Southern Consortium of University Public Service Organizations (SCUPSO) in Baltimore
2006 IGS and BGR consolidation is approved under new name, Institute for Governmental Service and Research (IGSR); EFC moves to National Center for Smart Growth Research and Education
2004 Division of Research splits from Graduate Studies; Robin Cox becomes BGR interim director to consolidate BGR with IGS; UMCQP dissolves; Environmental Finance Center (EFC) moves from UM Center for Environmental Science to IGS
2002 Robin Parker Cox becomes fifth IGS director

1990s

1999 IGS Water Resource Leadership Initiative begins operation; Small Business Development Center (SBDC) and UM Center for Quality and Productivity (UMCQP) join IGS and BGR in UMCAPS; IGS receives gubernatorial citation for decades of outstanding service to Maryland's local and state governments
1998 IGS Academy for Excellence in Local Governance begins operation; BGR moves from SPA to UMCAPS; Faye Taxman becomes eighth BGR director
1996 UM Center for Applied Policy Studies (UMCAPS) is formed in Division of Research and Graduate Studies; Charles Wellford is UMCAPS director; IGS moves from MCE to UMCAPS
1996 Walter Broadnax becomes seventh BGR director
1993 IGS Advisory Board is created; Catherine Riley becomes sixth BGR director
1993 MIANR dissolves; MCE (including IGS) moves to UMCP’s College of Agriculture and Natural Resources
1991 Barbara Hawk becomes fourth IGS director

1980s

1989 New UM campus, Maryland Institute for Agriculture and Natural Resources (MIANR), is established; IGS and Maryland Cooperative Extension (MCE) move from UM System Administration to MIANR; IGS becomes a unit of MCE; Brian Gardner becomes third IGS director.
1986 Donald Norris becomes second IGS director
1984 The Southern Consortium of University Public Service Organizations (SCUPSO) presents its Annual Public Service Award to IGS at the Region V Annual American Society for Public Administration (ASPA) Conference
1982 School of Public Affairs (SPA) begins operation; BGR moves to SPA; Allen Schick becomes fifth BGR director
1981 MTAS is renamed Institute for Governmental Service (IGS); Patricia Florestano is first IGS director
1980 Charles Levine becomes fourth BGR director; MTAS moves from BGR and BSOS to UM System Administration

1970s

1979 Patricia Florestano becomes fifth MTAS director
1976 Davis Bobrow becomes third BGR director; Henry Eppes becomes fourth MTAS director
1974 BGR (including MTAS) moves to College of Behavioral and Social Sciences (BSOS)

1960s

1969 Clarence Stone becomes third MTAS director
1965 MTAS begins providing services to counties and is renamed Maryland Technical Advisory Service; BGR publishes 44th report in Studies in Government and Public Administration series
1964 Daniel Thompson becomes second MTAS director

1950s

1959 MTAS begins operation as a division of BGR in College of Business and Public Administration; Milton Millon, former City Manager of Aberdeen is first MTAS director
1958 Maryland Municipal League (MML) representatives meet with UMCP President about creation of Municipal Technical Advisory Service (MTAS); MML transmits resolution to create MTAS to UMCP; UM Board of Regents votes to include MTAS in budget submission
1957 Franklin Burdette becomes second BGR director
1953 BPA is renamed Bureau of Governmental Research (BGR); Don Bowen becomes first BGR director
1950 Christian Larsen becomes second BPA director

1940s

1948 Bureau of Public Administration (BPA) is established in College of Business and Public Administration for study and research in the problems of government; Professor Ray is first BPA director; BPA adds seven new reports to Studies in Government and Public Administration series
1947 Improving the Government of Cumberland by Professor Ray is second publication in series
1946 Improving the Government of Hagerstown by Joseph Ray, Professor of Government and Politics at the University of Maryland College Park (UMCP), is first publication in series, Studies in Government and Public Administration

Return - Top of Page